The Timelines project was created in 2016/2017 and serves as a study aid for students of Medieval English Studies in their first and second semesters. It's a service by the Department of Medieval English Literature and Historical Linguistics (Anglistik I) of the University of Düsseldorf.
The Timelines project was conceived, created and coded by U. Marie Engemann, M. A. and most texts were provided by Pia Brinkmann, all under the supervision of Carolin Umbach, M. A.
If you have questions or comments, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The website uses the following technologies:
Sources of Information
All texts were written by ourselves, members of the Department of Medieval English Studies. Our primary source of information is our extensive experience in studying and teaching the Introduction to Medieval English Studies and/or its accompanying tutorials, which is supported by the "Reader" compiled by our own department (not a published source). Very special thanks go to Dr. Rainer Holtei and his dream team.
- Barber, Charles. The English Language: A Historical Introduction. Cambridge 1993.
- Baugh, Albert C. and Kemp Malone. The Middle Ages. London 1967. (Vol. I of: A Literary History of England).
- Baugh, Albert C. and Thomas Cable. A History of the English Language. 4th ed., London etc. 1993.
- Burrow, John A. Medieval Writers and Their Work: Middle English Literature 1100-1500. Oxford 1982.
- Crystal, David. The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language. Cambridge 1995.
- McMahon, April M.S. Understanding Language Change. Cambridge 1994.
- Mitchell, Bruce. An Invitation to Old English & Anglo-Saxon England. Oxford 1995.
- Pearsall, Derek. Old and Middle English Poetry. London 1977.
- Potter, Simeon. Changing English. London 1969.
- Sanders, Andrew. The Short Oxford History of English Literature. Oxford 1994.
- Seeber, Hans Ulrich (Ed.). Englische Literaturgeschichte. Stuttgart 1993.
- Simpson, James. 1350-1547: Reform and Cultural Revolution. London 2004. (Vol 2 of The Oxford English Literary History, ed. by Jonathan Bate).
- Stenton, Frank. Anglo-Saxon England. The Oxford History of England 2. 3rd edition Oxford 1971.
- Thomason, Sarah G. Language Contact. Edinburgh 2001.
- Wallace, David (Ed.). The Cambridge History of Medieval English Literature. Cambridge 1999.
- Wilkinson, B. The Later Middle Ages in England, 1216-1485. London 1969.
- Chaucer to Spenser: An Anthology of Writings in English 1375-1575, ed. by Derek Pearsall. Oxford 1999.
- The Cambridge Companion to Old English Literature, ed. by Malcolm Godden and Michael Lapidge. Cambridge 1991
- Medieval Drama: An Anthology, ed. by Greg Walker. Oxford 2000.
- Old and Middle English: An Anthology, ed. by Elaine Treharne. Oxford 2000.
- The Oxford Companion to the English Language, ed. by Tom McArthur. Oxford 1992.
- The Riverside Chaucer, 3rd ed., ed. by Larry Benson. Oxford 1988.