Here you can find some questions that you can try to answer by using the timeline:
- What are some of the most important historical events that influenced standardisation?
- What is problematic about the beginning and end dates given for e.g. Beowulf, Heptarchy, Old Norse or Latin?
- Which historical event(s) had an influence on Geoffrey Chaucer's works?
- Which kings/rulers are most important for the history of England? Which are important for developments in literature and linguistics?
- Name at least two languages that influenced Old English and elaborate.
- How did the Vikings influence the history of the English language?
- Which language heavily influenced English after the Norman Conquest? Why and on what level?
- What is the cause of the division of language contact with French into Norman & Central French?
- Give further examples for language contact situations.
- What was is the main task of a Language Academy? When was such an Academy established in England?
- Why is the dating of Old English literature difficult?
- What are the 'Three Early Pieces'? Why do you think they are important?
- Beowulf is the most famous Old English heroic epic. Give a short summary of the story!
- What are the Four Poetic Codices? Name them and elaborate on their dates.
- Why are there no works of English literature between the year ~1000 and ~1200?
- What was the purpose of the Doomsday Book?
- Name literary genres that emerged in the Middle English Period.
- One of the first books to be printed by William Caxton was Le Morte Darthur. Who allegedly wrote it?
- Who were the 'Big Four' of Middle English Poetry? Name one of their greatest works each.
- Name the two genres of in Havelok the Dane and Everyman. What other genre/s of the Middle English period do you know of?
- When was Christianity brought to England, and by whom?
- What is problematic about the Christianisation of England?
- What does the term 'Heptarchy' mean? What does it comprise?
- What happened during the 'Golden Age' and when/ why did that age come to an end?
- When and where did the Viking threat start? When and why did it end?
- Who were the most important kings in Anglo-Saxon England?
- Why was King Æthelred named the 'Unræd'?
- What was the Danelaw and under whose reign was it established?
- Name two famous Old English battles. How do we know about them?
- Who was the last Anglo-Saxon King of England, and what was he famous for?
Middle English History
- With whom did Stephen of Blois fight over the throne? How was this struggle resolved?
- Which other big event can the Baron's War be linked with?
- Explain why the 100 Years' War is split into two phases. What happened in between?
- Name at least two battles fought in the 100 Year's War. What happened there?
- Why is the Battle of Agincourt named one of the most important ones in English history?
- Who were the contestants of the Wars of the Roses, and why were they fighting each other?